We investigate the effect of FGM in patients with type 1 diabetes and sub-optimal glycaemic control, whether FGM is superior to ABC and whether there is an additive effect of using both concepts. We also evaluate cost-benefits of the different treatment modalities.
In individuals with T1D in poor metabolic control treated with MDI:
- To compare effects of FGM with standard diabetes training (no training in structured carbohydrate counting) with standard diabetes training and four daily SMBG measurements.
- To compare effects of training in carbohydrate counting, automatic bolus calculation and structured FGM use with effects of training in general diabetes related issues and four daily SMBG measurements.
- To assess whether FGM use without any specific carbohydrate training can outperform training in carbohydrate counting and bolus calculation.
200 participants will be randomized to
- Carbohydrate counting with automated bolus calculation (ABC),
- Flash glucose monitoring (FGM) or d) both treatment modalities and followed for 6 months. Glycaemic parameters will be compared.
SDCC Partners (Nordsjællands Hospital Hillerød, Rigshospitalet, Bispebjerg and Frederiksberg Hospital and Amager and Hvidovre Hospital).